Below you can find an overview of the pros and cons of scalp cooling. These aspects are only important if you receive a type of chemotherapy for which serious hair loss is fairly certain to occur.
- You have a greater chance of hair retention.
- You might not need to wear a wig or head covering.
- You have the opportunity to do something yourself about the baldness.
- You spend more time in the hospital.
- You do not have any guarantee of hair retention; there is uncertainty about the final result.
- You might experience uncertainty about the safety of the treatment.
- The quality of your hair might decrease.
- You are likely to experience long-lasting minimal hair loss.
- Scalp cooling is cold, especially in the first 15 minutes.
No scalp cooling
- There is less uncertainty about hair loss: you will very probably go bald.
- You are likely to experience brief hair loss; within 3 weeks the hair has fallen out.
- You will very probably go bald.
- You will be bald for several months and then have a period with very short hair.
- You incur expenses if you purchase a wig and/or head covering.